The other day I was talking to my sister and she was telling me how she hates when you find a recipe online, click on the link and it takes you to gigantic post and you have to scroll down for 5 minutes until you get to the recipe. So, if you are like her and want to jump straight to the recipe click here:Jump to Recipe
So, I love to cook as much as I love to travel. And I’m completely addicted to cooking and baking shows and YouTube channels. The thing is, all these shows are made by a huge team, usually by professionals who take days to prepare the dishes or desserts. They try, if it does not work they do it again, if it turns out ugly, they do it again. And then they make it look like it’s a walk in the park on a Spring Sunday Morning. Only, it’s not!
So I decided to give it a try and prepare some things and share the results here 😀
Here’s the original recipe. It’s in Portuguese, FYI. This one is not very hard. But I made some mistakes and also some changes. First, I needed it to be Gluten Free (I’m allergic to Wheat), so I used a GF brownie mix for the base of the cake and also used Glutino cookies.
I also did not have a 21cm cake pan. Mine is 10in which is approximately 25.5cm. So I should have baked it for maybe 5 minutes less. The brownie was a bit overcooked in the edges.
The second note is the Whipping cream for the decoration. I think it was way too liquid. Maybe it was the brand I used or maybe I should have whipped a bit more.
Other than that it was a pretty easy recipe and it does not require lots of experience.
- 4 eggs
- 150 ML Milk
- 125 g vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1+1/3 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 600 g Cream Cheese Regular
- 3 tbs water
- 1/2 tbsp gelatine powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 16 Oreo cookies
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 8 Oreo cookies
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 300cIn a large bowl mix the eggs, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Then add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix again. In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Then sift it into the first bowl and whisk well until you have a silky batter. Grease and flour a 21cm cake pan and transfer the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the water and the gelatine powder to a small container and let it bloom. With a hand mixer (or a fouet if you are Wonder Woman) Pour heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla into the bowl and whisk on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.Add the cream cheese and mix until well combined.Add 12 Oreo cookies cut in four parts and mix well.
Assembling the cake
- in a removable bottom cake pan with acetate, add the cake and the cream cheese mixture on top of it. Let is rest in the fridge for 2 hours
- Mix the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until medium to stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Using a piping bag add the cream and then add the Oreo cookies!